Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pills in a Little Cup













Author: Reverend Steven Rage
Website:
Review: 
This is probably the strangest thing I have ever read. I have never taken any drugs apart from aspirin and its knock-offs, or caffeine, and certainly not recreationally. But I can imagine that if I did, I would write something like this, or at least as insanely bizarre and utterly corrupted as this little collection of stories.
I'm so sick of vampires that I could vomit, and though the author does well in creating an entirely new class, and new visage... I'm not interested. That won't knock stars off, because it is really about personal choice, but really. No more. Please.
"Klonopin" was for me the story that screamed "bizarro," a story written in the throes of a massive binging on pills or something else. For a long moment I could not figure out "egg layer", until I realized the author meant "chicken." Holy... wow. And you think it cannot get any stranger when it descends into a world for which there is very little explanation. A dark, scary, depraved, and terrible place... but you can't leave, you can't look away, you have to know what happens. As hard as you try, you can't scratch the memory, erase the words, remove those wonderful, horrible images from your brain.
This collection would get four stars except for some editing and proofing issues. The style is bizarro, but yet I can't imagine the elderly talking/thinking they way they do in the first story. Unless I missed something. The style can be crude, which is normally not a problem, but sometimes it comes across as too colloquial and not feathered into the general style of strangeness.
3.4 stars. If you enjoy your sanity, this is not for you. If you do not want to go to dark places from which there may not be escape, don’t bother. But if you wish to discover a challenging and strange work... by all means pick this up.

1 comment: