Friday, August 17, 2012

What's in the Clouds?









[Image was protected... visit trentbdean.com to view]



Author: Trent B. Dean
Description: “The first of the Mr Twizzlepip series, What’s in the Clouds? is a fun, rhyming book suitable for children, ages 3 to 6. Join Mr Twizzlepip as he challenges his young readers to guess all the things that he can see in the clouds.
This book is a lot of fun to read out loud, especially when using a very posh English accent. Go on, I dare you ol’ chap.”
Review: This is the first children’s book I have reviewed. Having two boys, I have read to them a fair share of books, so I do have some experience. What’s in the Clouds is a great book to read to your young one, as soon as they are old enough to sit upright and pay attention for a few minutes. The pictures are bright, not too busy, the words large, and there is sufficient spacing.
There is a distinctly British appeal to this story, referenced of course in the blurb. I appreciate this different perspective and its ability to showcase a different way of phrasing to kids. It may be a turnoff for Americans, but I don’t think it is anything that detracts from the book. And the style still is in the vein of Eastman, with the short words and interchange between them; by repetition we can learn new words and phraseology.
This also drops a few points because of the first and last images of the man in the hat. When I look at it up close, the first image (with his small pupils dead-center in his eye) make him look a little scary and dangerous, as does the very last picture. Because of this, I’m not sure it would be the first book I would grab from the pile at book-reading time. Which is a shame because this is a really great book and kids will really enjoy it. It is a great way of encouraging children to look past the normal and the mundane, and expand their imaginations.

3.5 stars.
I was given a copy of this for review

No comments:

Post a Comment